Reading time 5 minutes.
Please note this blog post is more responsive in Desktop mode.
You might be wondering if coaching is really for you. Well, you’re about to find out! In this post you’ll learn what coaching is and is not, why it is important, how is the coaching process and the benefits coaching has in your life. I’ll also give you some pointers so you can decide if coaching is really for you.
Why would you want coaching?
There are multiple reasons you might need coaching. You might be feeling lost and confused and want some help navigate life and gain some clarity on your next steps. Reframing your perspective on certain situations that bring you frustration, anger or misalignment are consequences of effective coaching. Click on each topic to learn more.
Self-improvement, awareness and growth are topics that can be worked on a coaching session. You can gain great insights by coming in with an open-mind and heart to work on becoming the best version of yourself.
Navigate a difficult situation/period in life – Become more resilient
Although I am not a therapist, I can definitely help you gain resilience and reframe how you feel, think and see difficulties and obstacles in life as well as guide you to find your own resolution mechanisms.
Seeking Purpose and Clarity
Reduce overwhelm due to overthinking things and get out of the Fight, Flight, or Freeze response with guidance of a coach. Get clear on your purpose in life and create an action plan to start achieving your goals and fulfil such purpose.
Get accountable with changing your habits and mindset to improve your life and get closer to your goals. Coaching can also be an act of self-love and self-care with you taking the time to invest in your growth and focus on your wellbeing.
What Coaching is
- It is an honest and open partnership between you and me
- It gives you the help you need to connect to yourself, your wisdom, creativity and passion, to take action to create the life you really want
- It is 100% confidential and non-judgemental
- Focuses in the present/future instead of your past
- Uses active listening and powerful questions to help you achieve your goals and offer you more choices
- Is based on the philosophy that you already know the answers to most of your challenges but lack confidence or insight to take action
What Coaching is NOT
- It is not mentoring, therapy, counselling, training or consulting meant to fix you. You are NOT broken!
- Training or teaching that focuses on sharing knowledge and best practices. There might be some sharing of information as per client’s request but never with the intention to educate you.
- It won’t provide solutions or give you advice (it helps you figure it out in your own terms)
- It does not analyse or make recommendations
- It does not dwell on your past and make you relieve difficult situations. This is a safe space to move forward and focus on improving/changing your present and future.
- Not for everyone, it requires a commitment of time and energy that some might not be able to comply with.
Coaching is not Counselling
Sometimes it can be beneficial to have both a coach and a therapist.
These definitions were adapted from the ICF website.
ICF defines coaching as “partnering in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires a person to maximize their personal and professional potential. The coach is the expert in the coaching process, but you are the expert on your life journey.” It tends to focus on the present and future.
“A mentor provides subject matter expertise, wisdom and guidance based on their own experiences.” In an organizational setting, a mentor influences the personal and professional growth of a mentee.
“Therapy deals with healing pain, trauma, dysfunction or conflict of some kind, typically with the goal of resolving difficulties that impair an individual’s emotional health and psychological functioning.” It can tend to focus on the past with the intention of healing in order to move forward.
Consultants focus on solving specific and tangible goals. They also help their clients develop specific skills to achieve the goals on their own. It differs from mentoring as it focus on a specific target instead of the process of general growth.
You can have great success working with me if you are:
What happens in a coaching session?
All coaching sessions can be different according to the coach’s speciality and client’s needs. Here is what happens when you decide to work with me:
Set measurable desired outcomes
We start off by setting desired outcomes for the session and work through a game plan to get you from point A (feeling overwhelmed) to point B (feeling empowered).
Challenge current beliefs and reframe your mindset
I will ask questions, challenge assumptions, and help you gain clarity in a non-judgemental way. There may also be some grounding practices involved. i.e. meditation, breathwork.
Recap with takeaways and action steps
At the end of the session we will recap by gathering the main takeaways and decide on actionable steps you can take to change and improve your life.
Is INNER PEACE what you are looking for?
Are you ready to have:
Coaching offers you the opportunity to get long-lasting effects in your mindset that support your everyday life such as inner peace, more confidence and clarity on who you REALLY are.
I cannot recommend Jo more highly. If you are ready to make a change, I couldn’t think of anyone more supportive or professional to help you
I had just turned forty, and having spent the last 10 years or so feeling totally stuck emotionally; feeling anxious, prone to low mood, and generally just living a pretty miserable existence, I decided to embark on life coaching.
Joana has, without doubt, changed my life. In the time we have been working together she has provided me with a powerful insight into who I am, reduced the feelings of shame and negativity, and pushed me to focus on my personal development.
Book You FREE Inner Peace Assessment
Read These Next
- Why It’s Time to Celebrate Your Successes
- Cultivating Inner Peace and Abundance as an Introvert
- Can Mindfulness Help Your ADHD?
- Building Emotional Fitness: Strengthening Your Mental Resilience
- Reignite Your Life: A Roadmap to Healing from Burnout